I do love alliteration and so does the host of the collab I painted this nail art for. And yet I’m such a literal person that I had to have both jam and a musician jamming in my design since they were both fair interpretations of the prompt. *sigh* I am working on it. It was only after I struggled through coming up with my design and implementing it that easier ideas came to the fore where one or the other element would be more prominent. And it’s not like I didn’t have everyone else’s nail art posting to the chat to remind me to think outside the box. Box was comfy. Brain like-y.
Nail art products used
- Base Polish:
- Twisting Nether Lacquer’s “Twilight Princess“
- Stamping Polishes:
- Pueen’s “Cool Aqua” and UR Sugar’s “Coffee“
- Advanced Stamping Polishes:
- Colores de Carol’s “Whitish Dust“, KADS’ “Pearly Yellow Green“, Nicole Diary’s “Rush Lyon“, Rogue Lacquer’s “Pansy for Your Thoughts“, and Zoya’s “Paloma“
- Stamping Plates:
- Born Pretty “BP-129” (guitarist, random music notes), “BP-X18” (musical note sequence), + “BPX-L016“ (headphones); “Harunouta-L022” (jam jar); “Harunouta-L044” (toast with jam); and Hit the Bottle “Urban Wild Style” (“jam”)
Items in italics are debuting on the blog for the first time.
I could talk more about this nail art, but I think I’d rather soap box about an annoying trend I’ve noticed in stamping plates. Rock stamping plates keep featuring male musicians because apparently only they can rock? Like we don’t have Band Maid, the Runaways, the Regrettes, and more in real life. It’s fucking annoying. We know that mostly women are buying these plates so why aren’t we featuring women? The stamping image I used for the musician had a full band and really only the guitarist felt remotely feminine. And don’t get me wrong, I would happily take more gender neutral images too. The androgynous look is chef’s kiss to me.
But, no, they’re all very masculine and frankly it’s not just musicians. Want a stamping image of a female chef? Good luck. A break dancer instead of a ballerina? Don’t make me laugh. A hockey player? Nope! We seriously need to do better as a community. Because you strive to become what you see.
In contrast, The Stamping Shop Collab’s STEAM Powered plate that I haven’t even used yet has several female scientists on it. So there’s hope!
- Group Tag: #JanuaryJamNails (specific) #DesigningWithDenise (monthly)
- Prompt: January Jams
- Next prompt: February Flower Fairies
Final Jammin’ nail art photos
Until next time, friends! 🙋♀️