~Madness takes its toll~
Please have exact change ready.
Redrival didn't offer Server Site Includes support, so I had to move to SPHosting. I got a real mailing list and signed up for some "traffic reports." The mailing list was used once and the tracker kept sending me weekly emails to tell me no one was visiting the site after SPHosting deleted it. Well, until I turned it off.
On a brighter note, I discovered someone had found my site by typing "toilet poem" into a search engine. ;D
Light, open, cheerful. Too damn plain.
Sadly, I bumped the bread crumb trail to sit right above the content instead of deleting it. All the pages had back links using "<<" so it was all beyond redundant. Remember: the more clutter you put out there, the less people know where to focus.
- Blurbs - I moved the link lists in the poetry section from the right menu into the content area and tacked on a blurb describing what the poem was about. This made it more informative and
- Art Gallery - (sub)
- Web Design - (sub)
- Poetry - (sub) moved the lists of poems into the main content area and put the hot list in the menu.
- Wanderings - (sub) ditto without the hot list.
- Essays - (sub) unchanged.
- Short Stories - (sub) unchanged.
- Monologues - (sub) unchanged.
- Rants - (sub) moved into writing from MSKing section. I begin to write less honest opinions on the mistaken notion that I needed to be more "interesting." Many headaches and heartaches result. All mine.
- Jester - (sub) added She Says... She Means and True Myths. The mafias are separated by white space instead of borders because it's easier on my eyes and more compact.
- Brain Dump - (sub) unchanged.
- Site Info - (sub) with the .txt files from SSI cluttering up the root directory, I put this into a separate subdirectory.
- Sitemap - unchanged.
- Site History - (sub) August 2001: I made a thumbnail of the main page of every version and put up a bit of info (overview page). I was hoping to then do what I have done now except I was still trying to get too detailed. Ugh. A year later, I am finally writing the individual pages.
- MSKing - (sub) I started archiving the conversation snippets.
- Links - (sub) I made my first real (properly sized) link banners and buttons.
Well, if you don't log into your account every thirty days or so, SPHosting deletes it. So guess what happened to me. I'd already been planning on moving because they'd started using popups, but being deleted sucked. :'(
I then opened up the old version at redrival so Firebyrd could poke around whenever she was bored and I promised that I'd get some space somewhere and upload again...
And then redrival started having money problems and then they started deleting inactive accounts. I was a good girl. I logged in once a month, but it too got deleted somehow. Poor me. :( [brain: Quick! Someone comfort us with cookies or chocolate!]
I kept working on the site. Improving. Updating. Rewriting pedantically. But I decided I wanted 1) my own domain, 2) never to get deleted again, and 3) more! all of which meant prying the money from my cold, dead fingers for hosting/domain. Obviously if you're reading this, I have finally managed that but, at the time of this writing, this site has existed solely on my hard drive for over a year.